Blended Learning Class
11 weeks, once per week, 90 minutes class time + 90 minutes of independent study
Total 33 hours (16.5 hours of class time + 16.5 hours of independent study)
The French Blended Learning course is specially designed to give you greater flexibility in when, where, and how you learn French. It is ideal for students who want to make progress on their French quickly but have limited amount of time to commit to attending class.
The blended learning method combines the advantages of face-to-face instruction with the convenience of online activities, providing students the best of both worlds. Once a week, for 90 minutes, you’ll participate in an immersive class led by one of our expert native-speaking French teachers. After class, you’ll enhance your studies by completing 90 mintues of exercises on your own on an interactive online platform. Using the latest learning methods and engaging multimedia content, you’ll improve your reading, writing, and listening comprehension skills.
Benefits of the blended learning method:
- Expert face-to-face instruction combined with world-class online activities.
- An experienced French instructor will support you for the entire duration of the course and provide regular feedback on your progress.
- An interactive online learning platform rich in multimedia content.
- A curriculum that matches our regular General French courses but offers greater flexibility.
- Individual and group assignments that encourage independent thinking as well as conversation and camaraderie with fellow students.
- An online chat feature to interact with fellow students and your teacher.
To succeed in this class, you should be:
- Comfortable using a computer or tablet, able to navigate the internet with ease, and familiar with Google applications
- Willing to study independently using interactive learning platforms
- Able to attend class once a week for 90 minutes on a designated day, at a specific time
- Able to dedicate the mandatory 90 minutes per week outside of class time in order to complete assignments by the deadlines and keep progressing with the class
Curriculum Details for Beginner A1 Level 1
Book: Cosmopolite 1
Units: 0, 1, 2
New to French? Start speaking French from day one with the French A1.1 class for complete beginners and experience an immersive introduction to all things French!
Using authentic resources and real world tasks, this course will introduce you to the structure and use of the French language in everyday life. You’ll learn to understand and use familiar, commonplace expressions and very basic phrases in order to speak with others at a beginner’s level. Through interactive and multimedia activities, texts, and course books, you will learn how to introduce yourself and others, how to excuse yourself, how to ask basic questions, how to talk about your family and day to day life, and how to read simple signs. Culturally, you will learn about French customs, certain French quirks and personality traits, and you’ll discover the French lifestyle as it exists around the world!
Beginner A1 level consists of 4 sub-levels: Level A1.1, Level A1.2, Level A1.3, and Level A1.4.
Level A1.1 is the first sub-level of the Beginner A1 level.
Level A1.1 is further split into Part 1 and Part 2 for the leisurely track.
FIAF In-Person Class Guidelines (as of 9/7/2022): Masks are optional and proof of Covid-19 vaccination is no longer requried to attend a class or event at any FIAF location. Read more.