This program of shorts brings together filmmakers from Ghana, Tunisia, Madagascar, the Democratic Republic of Congo, and Burkina Faso by way of Canada, showcasing the diverse storytelling and multifaceted filmmaking techniques across the continent.
“Animation is another lens to look at Africa,” writes Dr. Boukary Sawadogo, professor of cinema studies at the City College of New York. Marking the 60th anniversary of independence for 17 African nations, Dr. Sawadogo collaborated with Animation First to create a program that showcases both the richness and diversity of African animation, as well as contemporary issues facing the continent.
67 min (6 shorts)
English subtitles available
- Black Barbie, Dir. Comfort Arthur, 2016, 4 min, Ghana
- The Cora Player (Joueur de cora), Dir. Cilia Sawadogo, 1996, 7 min, Canada
- Afropower (Afreupouvoir), Dir. Manohiray Randriamanantsoa, 2010, 5 min, Madagascar
- L’Ambouba, Dir. Nadia Rais, 2010, 9 min, Tunisia
- اغتراب Fade, Dir. Alaeddin Abou Taleb, 2018, 13 min, Tunisia
- Prince Loseno, Dir. Jean-Michel Kibushi, 2004, 29 min, France and Belgium