Test d'Évaluation de Français – Integration, Residence and Nationality
What is the TEF IRN?
The TEF IRN is intended for any foreign person over 16 years old wishing to validate their level of French to:
- An application for French nationality
- An application for a long-term resident card
- Validation of level A1 as part of the OFFI citizen course
The TEF IRN is composed of 4 compulsory sections assessing skills in French as a general language (1 hour 15 min duration):
- Listening comprehension: computer-based collective test – 20 multiple-choice questions (4 answer choices, one correct answer) – 15 minutes
- Reading comprehension: computer-based collective test – 20 multiple-choice questions (4 answer choices, one correct answer) – 20 minutes
- Written expression: computer-based collective test – 3 exercises – 30 minutes
- Oral expression: individual face-to-face test with an examiner – 2 exercises – 10 minutes
The TEF IRN exclusively assesses language skills and not knowledge of French history, culture and society.
- You must at least reach level A1 for each of the four sections to validate your citizen course.
- You must obtain an A2 level for each of the four sections to validate your resident card application.
- You must obtain a B1 level for each of the four sections to complete your nationality application.
This test is given at a testing center recognized by the France Education International such as the French Institute Alliance Française (FIAF) in New York.
Le Français des Affaires delivers your certificate through the testing center such as FIAF. Your certificate of “TEF Integration, Residence and Nationality” is only valid to complete a request for the 3 goals listed above. You cannot use it for admission to a French university or to complete your request for emigration to Canada or Québec.
Read more information here.
Please check back in December 2022 for 2023 exam dates.
Please be available between 9am and 6pm to take this test.
French Institute Alliance Francaise
22 East 60th Street, New York, NY 10022
Getting the Certificate
Please allow 5-6 weeks from the test date to receive your certificate. It will be mailed to you directly from the Français des affaires, our partner.
The certificate of results is valid for two years.
A candidate may take the test as many times as he/she wants, however, a one-month waiting period is required between two successive tests.
Listening Comprehension, Oral Expression, Written Comprehension, and Written Expression
$350 FIAF Members
Fees must be paid in full at time of registration and are non-refundable. Please note there is a $5 administrative fee in addition to the exam fee.
Payment is made by credit card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express). Find payment form and details below.
The health and well-being of our students, members, visitors, and staff are our number one priority. We will be closely following strict guidelines recommended by the CDC and public health authorities regarding COVID-19.
More frequent building-wide cleaning schedule has been implemented.
Please complete the registration and payment forms below and email them to FIAF.
• Registration Form (pdf)
• Payment Form (pdf)
Any incomplete applications will be rejected.
FIAF Language Center, 22 E 60th St, New York, NY 10022
Exam session transfers are subject to a $50 fee and only permitted before the Registration Deadline of your original exam session. Any candidate who submits a transfer request after this Registration Deadline is subject to repay the full exam fee. Participation can only be transferred to the next session (without penalty) in the case of sickness, provided that a doctor’s note is mailed (not via email) within three days of the original Exam Date. If you have registered for an exam and need to transfer to another session, please email email@example.com.
FIAF reserves the right to cancel a session due to weather inclement or if the number of candidates does not exceed 10. All registrations will be moved to the next session.